First Graders Teach Rabbi Aviva How to Make Latkes
What, you don't know how to make Chanukah latkes? Worry not! The first graders at Wilshire Boulevard Temple's Brawerman-East school have all the answers -- and the ingredients. Have a look at the video, and once you've memorized the steps, refer to the recipe below to make great latkes to share with your family and friends. And Happy Chanukah!
Grade 1 Latke recipe (makes 15-20 latkes):
6 small potatoes
1/4 c flour
1 tsp salt
oil for frying
- Shred potatoes and onion in food processor.
- Mix with flour and salt.
- Heat oil in the pan until shimmering.
- Drop potato mixture in by the heaping spoonful.
- Flip once, when sides are golden brown.
- Enjoy with applesauce and sour cream!
Rabbinical school taught Rabbi Aviva Funke, Brawerman East rabbi, many things but not how to make Latkes. First graders share their recipe and cook up a delicious batch.